Summer Blueberry Coconut Muthins Bake- in Collaboration With Nutritionist Mercedes Gold
By: Mercedes Kay Gold – Holistic Nutritionist (CNP) and Personal Training living in Toronto.
-SCROLL DOWN FOR RECIPE-
As a Holistic Nutritionist, I’m an avid label reader! Always opting for low sugar, high fiber whole foods. Ingredients found in nature help nourish and cleanse the body!
In collaboration with one of my all time favourites, Muthins and I would like to kick off summertime with an extra special shout out to North America’s native berry, the BLUEBERRY!
Blueberry MUTHINS are worthy of bragging rights. Whopping 8 grams of fiber, 6 grams of plant protein and only 6 grams of sugar in each blueberry Muthin. Sweetened with goodness of applesauce, prunes, Canadian favorite, maple syrup and bounty of flavor boosting whole blueberries in every bite!
With a mere 150 calories in each muffin, go ahead and enjoy guilt free!!
Blueberries are one of nature’s super foods.
- Blueberries can thank key anti-oxidant, anthocyanin for their divine deep blue purple hue. This stunning blend of colors contains cancer fighting properties. Anthocyanins also help protect against hypertension.
- Vitamin C is immune boosting. Flavonoids help decrease inflammation in the body while reducing DNA damage.
- High in Vitamin K, aiding in bone health and blood clotting
- High fiber found in blueberries helps improve blood sugar, lipid and insulin levels. Fiber promotes feeling of fullness, important factor in weight loss and management. High fiber diet helps ensure healthy digestion and regular elimination of toxins.
- Gailic acid provides anti-fungal and anti-viral protection.
- Potassium packed blueberries help lower blood pressure naturally.
BLUEBERRY COMFORT COCONUT MORNING BAKE
1 and 1/2 cups coconut milk
2 Tbsp coconut sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp ground flax
Few Tbsps of coconut oil for drizzle, shredded coconut and 1/2 cup washed blueberries.
1) Break apart muffins and toast in 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 10 minutes.
2) Whisk coconut milk, coconut sugar, cinnamon and flax.
3) Fold muffins into wet mixture.
4) Spread mixture evenly across small baking pan and cover pan tightly with tinfoil. Bake for 30 minutes.
SERVE warm and top with drizzle of coconut oil, berries and shredded coconut. For an easy dessert add ice-cream or alternative such as “Coconut Bliss”.